June 05, 2016
10TH SUNDAY OF ORDINARY TIME
Elijah cried out to the Lord, “O lord, my God, will you afflict even the widow with whom I am staying by killing her son? 1 Kings 17
GOD’S ENDURING PRESENCE, 2015
No More Being Too Nice With God
Reflection by Joyce Rupp
Through the ages, hurting people have raised their anguished voices to God. These voices have been filled with agonizing questions, tearful requests, and angry accusations. They have implored, begged, and pleaded for relief or for answers. They have cried out in pain and sought solace by voicing their emotions. Scriptural passages are filled with these prayers, thus assuring us it is all right to cry out to the Holy One.
I used to be too nice with God when I was feeling desolate about painful life events. I now realize that not being honest with my divine companion about my situation only added to the soreness of my emotional state. Trying to hide the hurt, avoiding the reality of my discomfort when I was at prayer benefited no one and only generated more self-piety and resentment.
I do not believe that God sends suffering. Suffering happens because of our human condition, the choices we make, and because of the way transformation evolves with its growthful cycle of life-death-life. Still, this truth does not take away my human, emotional response that sometimes includes the dimension of emotional pain. Nor does it cease my silent hope that my communication with God will make a difference.
Loving God, you know me through and through. Let me not hide from you, or from myself, the feelings that arise within me.
UPCOMING PARISH EVENTS
|ROSARY TEA||Sunday, June 5 at 2 PM|
|SR. CHRISTINE’S EVENT||Saturday, June 11 at 5:30 PM|
|CARNIVAL||Thursday – Friday – Saturday
June 16 – 17 – 18
Sr. Christine to Retire from Staff Parish Ministry
After 36 years of faithful service Sr. Chris is retiring from Staff Parish Ministry. The good news is that Sister will continue to live in our community and will share her abundant gifts as a fellow parishioner. We will honor and celebrate Sr. Chris’ legacy of service: Saturday, June 11th at 5:30 PM Mass followed by a light meal and program in the auditorium. (See tear-off)
MINISTRIES AND ORGANIZATIONS
- The Monday Night Group: June 13th & 27th at 6:30
- The New & Recently Bereaved Group: Wednesday, June 8th & 22nd at 7:00 PM.
Atlantic City Casino Bus Ride
- Trip to Resorts Casino in Atlantic City on Thursday, June 23rd
- Must be 21 years old and over
- Price is $25.00 with a casino bonus of $25.00.
- Must show picture ID from Resorts or get one there, free of charge
- Call Barbara Rzepecki early to reserve your bus seating at 983-278-1566.
St. Philip’s Players
Come join us offstage. We welcome and will train parishioners for ALL technical positions, stage managers, scenic designers. Call us at 973-607-1924 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nunsense! Coming in September.
ST. PHILIP’S 37TH ANNUAL CARNIVAL
|Thursday||June 16||6-10 PM|
|Friday||June 17||6-11 PM|
|Saturday||June 18||6:30-11 PM|
- VALLEY RIDES & AMUSEMENTS
- AN EXCELLENT NEW VENDOR!
- RIDES GAMES
- CRAFT FAIR
- CARNIVAL MEETING on Monday, June 6, 2016 7:00 PM in Marian Hall All are welcome!
- Worker Volunteer sign-up sheets are available in the vestibule of the Church or on our website. We want to thank all workers in the past and hope they can work again this year. New faces are always welcome.
- Sponsor flyers are available in the vestibule of the Church or on our website. Business Sponsorship – $50.00; Family Sponsorship – $30.00; Booth and ride sponsorship – $100.00.
- A CRAFT FAIR will be held in the gym during all Carnival hours. More Crafters welcome! Information and contracts available by calling the parish office at 973-779-6200 or click here for online booking.
- Discounted ride tickets and bracelets on sale now through June 13th.
All-Ride” Bracelet – $20 per night
Sheets of 15 tickets -$12
- If you purchased ride tickets LAST year, an additional saving may be available to you THIS year. Contact Barbara Salzer at the Molloy Center.
- Purchase your discounted Carnival Ride tickets at the Molloy Center Office Monday through Friday between 9:00 AM and 4:30 PM or click here for online booking. TICKETS WILL ALSO BE ON SALE AFTER ALL MASSES THIS WEEKEND AND NEXT. BRACELETS SOLD ON LINE OR AT PARISH OFFICE.
- Soda/Water Donations Name brand soda and bottled water for the Soda & Water booth can be left at the Molloy Parish Center. Hours are 9 AM – 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.
- Confirmation Service Hours: Current grades 8, 9 & 10 Please contact Doreen Germain at home: 973-667-1982 or Email: email@example.com
- Plant Baskets are needed for the Plant Sale. Please drop off at Plant Stand any night of the Carnival.
To read complete bulletin click here