May 22, 2016
OUR BLESSED MOTHER MARY THROUGH THE WINDOWS OF THE GOSPEL
A Prayer Journey by Donal Harrington & Julie Kavanagh
Mary is above all the example of that worship
that consists in making one’s life an offering to God. (Paul VI, Marialis Cultis, 21)
But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. Luke 1:29
Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word. Luke 1:38
My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour. Luke 1:47
But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:19
And the child’s father and mother were amazed at what was being said about him. Then Simeon blessed them and said to his mother Mary, ‘This child is destined for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed, so that the inner thoughts of many may be revealed –and a sword will pierce your own soul too.’ Luke 2:33-35
When his parents saw him they were astonished, and his mother said to him, ‘Child, why have you
treated us like this?’ Luke 2:48
Then his mother and his brothers came to him, but they could not reach him because of the crowd. And he was told, ‘Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.’ But he said to them, ‘My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.’ Luke 8:19-21
His mother said to the servants, ‘Do whatever he tells you.’ John 2:5
When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, ‘Woman, here is your Son.’ Then he said to his disciple, ‘Here is your mother.’ And from that hour the disciple took her into his home. John 19:26-27
Choose one of the above quotes and spend some time reflecting upon it in the light of your own life experience.
Gentle Mary, we pray …
for the hearts of courage that we may accept the will of God.
Attentive Mary, we, pray …
for hearts of wisdom that we may hear the word of God and respond to it in our lives.
Compassionate Mary, we pray …
for the hearts of love that we may act in a spirit of charity and service.
Mother Mary, we pray …
for hearts of discipleship that we may be led to live in God’s ways.
Hail Mary …
UPCOMING PARISH EVENTS
|CHOIR CONCERT||Sunday, May 22 at 4 PM|
|ST PHILIP PLAYERS CABARET||Thursday, June 2 at 7 PM
Fri. & Sat., June 3 & 4 at 8 PM
|ROSARY TEA||Sunday, June 5 at 2 PM|
|SR. CHRISTINE’S EVENT||Saturday, June 11 at 5:30 PM|
|CARNIVAL||Thursday – Friday – Saturday
June 16 – 17 – 18
Sr. Christine to Retire from Staff Parish Ministry
After 36 years of faithful service Sr. Chris is retiring from Staff Parish Ministry. The good news is that Sister will continue to live in our community and will share her abundant gifts as a fellow parishioner. We will honor and celebrate Sr. Chris’ legacy of service: Saturday, June 11th at 5:30 PM Mass followed by a light meal and program in the auditorium. (See tear-off)
The Adult, Youth and Handbell Choirs of St. Philip the Apostle will present their annual Spring Concert this Sunday, May 22nd at 4:00 PM in church. The concert, which will feature sacred music, is free; however a free-will offering is appreciated. Please join us.
MINISTRIES AND ORGANIZATIONS
- Columbiettes meeting Thursday, May 26 at 7PM in the Molloy Center.
- Announcement of those running for office will be made.
- Annual Baby Shower of new & gently used items. Donations welcome
- No food collection.
- The Monday Night Group: May 23rd; June 13th & 27th at 6:30 PM.
- The New & Recently Bereaved Group: Wednesday, May 25th, June 8th & 22nd at 7:00 PM.
Prime Timers Luncheon
- St. Philip’s Prime Timers end of season luncheon-Friday June 3.
- Tickets are $15 for members & non-members and must be purchased by Tuesday, May 31st.
- Tickets can be acquired by sending your name and payment to St. Philip the Apostle, 797 Valley Rd., Clifton, N. J. 07013 Attn: Bea Lacava.
St. Philip’s Players
Present BACKWARDS BROADWAY. An evening of classic and contemporary Broadway music… with a twist: June 2nd at 7 PM; June 3rd & 4th at 8 PM
- Thursday and Friday: $25 Dessert Theater; Saturday: $35 Pasta Dinner
- Reserve tickets by calling 973-607-1924, prepay through the Molloy Center by calling 973-779-1439 or email us at StPhilipsPlayers@AOL.com. Tickets on sale after Mass this weekend.
To read complete bulletin click here