May 24, 2015
Companions on the Journey
With the Holy Spirit
EASTER SEASON: WEEK VII
The Holy Spirit Our Companion on the Journey
Our Journey begins with God who creates us, accompanies us through life, death and resurrection until we return to God in glory. The Holy Spirit gifts, guides and invites us to live our mission to do Christ’s work our Opus Christi –service to our brothers and sisters on every step. We are Companions on the Journey with God and with each other.
As we journey through the Easter Season to Pentecost the same Holy Spirit that propelled the disciples to live as Superheroes for Christ animates us through Baptism, Confirmation and with spiritual gifts. The power of the Holy Spirit that thrives in us is from God and for others.
Seven gifts of the Holy Spirit
LifeTeen.com (freely adapted)
- Wisdom enables us to discern and relish God’s presence in all things and to trust in Providence.
- Understanding is seeing and feeling with the heart, God’s truth, beauty and goodness in ourselves, others and in our world.
- Right Counsel helps us to sift and sort in prayer what cannot be changed and needs to be accepted and what can be changed and needs to be accomplished.
- Fortitude emboldens us to dream of what is possible and to freely take risks to make that vision a reality.
- Knowledge focuses our priorities and shifts our perspective to think, feel and act with faith, hope and love.
- Piety (Reverence) is gratefully experiencing God in mind, heart and will in creation, ourselves and others and living ‘as Christ’ for others.
- ‘Fear of the Lord’ meaning “WOW!” Awe, Wonder, Amazement Our sin, weakness and every difficulty is God’s opportunity to manifest the power of the Holy Spirit at work in our lives –WOW!
WEEK VII PENTECOST
A duck hunter buys a dog that walks on water. After years of listening to the negativity and “glass half full” attitude of his fellow duck hunters, the man is expecting to finally get a “WOW” from his friends.
On the day of the hunt, with one duck down and in the lake, his dog sets out skipping over the water. Instead of amazement, one friend remarks, “Dog can’t swim eh?”
We laugh because we recognize a challenging part of our humanity in the story. We often see first what’s missing and do not recognize the gift in many situations. God is constantly showering us with all gifts even the gift of our own life and next breath. We can imagine God saying “Wait until they see this . . .” How can we see more clearly God’s providence at work?
Our first move is to cultivate an awareness of God’s gifts and to grow in appreciation for them. Our lives then become a loving response to God’s generosity.
Pentecost is a celebration of God’s love and power at work within and among us.
The Eucharist means “to give thanks”. Our celebration is the perfect time to recount all the ways that God has blessed our parish and the ways that we have blessed each other as Companions on the Journey since last Pentecost.
We share God’s gifts spiritually, socially and in service:
Pentecost 2014 to Pentecost 2015
|Rel. Ed. Enrollment||225|
|Pre Cana Couples||16|
Living Spirituality themes
- Keys to the Kingdom: keys of truth, beauty, and goodness
- Parish Crest-Opus Christi = Christ’s work
- Your Gift is Wrapped in Prayer
- Companions on the Journey
- Parish Carnival and Parish Picnic
- St. Joseph/St. Patrick Dinner
- Spring Royale
- All parish group events
- St. Philip School is honored as a Preparatory School
Service for Facilities
- Physical improvements to facilities –
School Building: Air Conditioned, security shades, refurbished school lobby & office
Auditorium: shades, floor, lighting, sound system Russo Room: Renovated and named
Reflection and Activity
Remember, reflect and pray about how our parish ministry has touched your life. Give God thanks for the ways that the Holy Spirit, as your Companion on the Journey, inspires you as you live out your mission doing Christ’s work of love.
What one action can you take that mirrors God’s love that says, “Wait until they see this…”
MINISTRIES AND ORGANIZATIONS
Our next meeting is on Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 7:00 PM in Cerullo Hall. We will be holding elections for next year’s officers. Please try to attend.
We will be walking with our new banner in Clifton’s Memorial Day Parade alongside our brother Knights. If you are able to walk with us please let Sharon know. Thank you to all our Veterans for your service. Sharon: 973-742-0926.
St. Philip’s Prime Timers will hold their final meeting until September on Friday, June 5th at 1:00 PM in the Molloy Center on St. Philip’s Drive. Installation of the new officers for the 2015-2016 club year will be followed with the annual spring luncheon.
Widow and Widowers
The Monday Night Group: June 8th and 22nd at 6:30 PM.
The New & Recently Bereaved Group: Wednesday, June 24th at 6:00 PM.
Separated & Divorced Support Group
Divorce Healing Group: 2nd and 4th Monday of each month, 7:00 PM in the Molloy Center on June 8th and 22nd.
To read complete bulletin click here